1. Pot pie filling (see video here) or use a can of thick vegan soup like Amy's. No Chicken Noodle Soup. If you follow the video,
- ONLY make 1/3 of her recipe
- Use 2 Tbsp of flour instead of rice
2. Pie crust
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup applesauce (unsweetened is best)
- Optional- 1/4 tsp artificial butter flavor
- 1 hand-size potato cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup soymilk (other milk subs can be used but may change the flavor a little)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Make your pie filling according to this video. (only use 1/3 her recipe. Use a few tablespoons of flour instead of rice so the soup gets nice and thick), then
Prep your pie dough:
- Combine all pie dough ingredients with a spoon- it should still be kind of crumbly when you're done.
- Pop it into the freezer while you prep the mashed potatoes.
- Place your diced potatoes into a microwaveable bowl with the water.
- Microwave for 6 minutes to get potatoes soft.
- Mash the hot potatoes with a fork and slowly add the soymilk to get a thick creamy consistency.
- Grease a few cups of a muffin pan. Press 1/3 of the pie crust dough into each of the greased cups like you're making an edible cupcake wrapper.
- With a spoon, ladle enough pie filling to barely reach the top of the crust.
- Scoop a thick dollop of mashed potatoes onto the too of each pie. Bake them for 25 minutes. It's ok if they start to bubble or leak a little bit.
- Let the pies cool in the oven for about an hour before removing them from the pan.
**Tip: to make the tops of the pies crispy looking, put them under the broiler for a few minutes. They will burn fast so keep an eye on them!