This. Stuff. Is. Awesome. I'm going to call it pumpkin pie spread from now on. It only has five ingredients too: Apples, sugar, high fructose corn syrup (sugar), apple cider concentrate, spices.
Nothing gross! No guilt. Unless you eat it straight out of the jar like I did- shhhh! You don't know ANYTHING;) A lot of people get scared when they read 'sugar' or 'corn syrup' or any amount of carbs on the nutrition label. SUGAR is not BAD for you! If you eat naturally occurring sugars (no, Pixie Stix don't count) with slow-digesting grains, you won't crash from a blood sugar spike. Instead you will have lasting energy, even after a big starchy lunch!
When my friends try to go vegan/vegetarian, I tell them to eat the rainbow when it comes to produce, and get equal amounts of grains/starches like bread, potatoes, oats, and rice. The variety of nutrients that come from multicolored fruit & veg in combination with the grains & starches keeps them full without the sick tired feeling. You'll stay content as a Vulcan if you eat your plants right! Besides, the more variety you eat (like apple butter vs. jelly) the better vegetarian tastes! Here's my own food pyramid to packing lunch:
- 2 slices bread (I make my own, I'll post the recipe later)
- Crunchy peanut butter
- Apple butter
- Keep peanut butter and apple butter in a small container until you are ready to make your sandwich at lunch. No more soggy bread!
- Spread the peanut butter on one or both slices, then scoop apple butter into the center to create a jelly pocket. It won't drip out when you pick it up!
- Toast your bread before refrigerating your lunch together.
- Just spread it onto your sammie for added deliciousness or toast for breakfast.