- 1 1/2 c uncooked rice (any long grain rice will do) + 2 c boiling water
- 1/2 c onion, chopped*
- 1 c dry beans (I used pinto and black-eyed peas)
- 1/2 can corn
- 1-2 Tbsp lime or orange juice
- 'Bacon' bits**
* I froze some onions previously chopped into rings in a plastic bag. Instead of making my eyes water by chopping a fresh onion, I was able to keep the frozen rings in the bag and snap them into pieces. No tears here!
** YES SIR- many salad topping bacon bits actually contain no meat at all! Most are a form of flavored soy with salt and oil. Make sure you check the ingredients first!
- Rinse the dry beans under very hot running water, then let them soak for half an hour while you prep the other ingredients.
- Put your rice and water in a large casserole dish or baking bowl. Add your onions and jalapenos.
- Combine the drained beans with rice, jalapenos, and onions, cover with foil, and bake for 1- 1 1/2 hours. Add 1 cup of water if rice becomes dry during cooking.
- Let rice cool for about 1/2 hour before mixing in corn. Add lime juice, salt, or orange juice.
- Garnish with 'bacon' bits and cilantro before serving!