- 1 small onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 can beans (I used blackeye peas, they're watching you)
- 1/3 cup dry lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or 1/2 cup water + chopped tomato)
Optional: splash in some hot sauce or soy sauce for some flavor kick!
- Stir your onion and bell pepper into the pot for a couple minutes. You're looking for the onion to start turning gold and transparent.
- Time for spices. Toss them right into the hot pot so their oils will heat up and soak into your veggies.
- Crank the heat up to high and immediately add water, beans, and lentils. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium and add your tomatoes.
- Keep the soup gently boiling for about 15 minutes then cover and turn off the heat. Your chili will begin to get thick and delicious.
Let me know what crazy things people in your town put on their side dishes. What's your favorite brand of chili? How's your uncle? Comment below!:)